Palvino ’55 to be Inducted into Rochester Music Hall of Fame
Jack Palvino, a member of St. John Fisher College's Pioneer Class and a current trustee, will be inducted into the Rochester Music Hall of Fame. The inductees were announced on Thursday, February 28, and the ceremony will take place on April 28 at the Eastman Theatre.
Palvino is one of Rochester's best-known media figures with a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
Palvino remains active in the College's Communication/ Journalism Department, and he was honored in 1999 for his dedication to the College by the creation of the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame. In 2001, he established the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which is awarded to two communication/journalism students each year.
In addition, he started the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication Awards in 2011, honoring local communications professionals for their work in public relations, advertising, and broadcast and print journalism. The 2013 award winners will be honored on April 18.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair