Palvino ’55 to be Inducted into Rochester Music Hall of Fame
Jack Palvino, a member of St. John Fisher College's Pioneer Class and a current trustee, will be inducted into the Rochester Music Hall of Fame. The inductees were announced on Thursday, February 28, and the ceremony will take place on April 28 at the Eastman Theatre.
Palvino is one of Rochester's best-known media figures with a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
Palvino remains active in the College's Communication/ Journalism Department, and he was honored in 1999 for his dedication to the College by the creation of the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame. In 2001, he established the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which is awarded to two communication/journalism students each year.
In addition, he started the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication Awards in 2011, honoring local communications professionals for their work in public relations, advertising, and broadcast and print journalism. The 2013 award winners will be honored on April 18.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference