Palvino ’55 to be Inducted into Rochester Music Hall of Fame
Jack Palvino, a member of St. John Fisher College's Pioneer Class and a current trustee, will be inducted into the Rochester Music Hall of Fame. The inductees were announced on Thursday, February 28, and the ceremony will take place on April 28 at the Eastman Theatre.
Palvino is one of Rochester's best-known media figures with a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
Palvino remains active in the College's Communication/ Journalism Department, and he was honored in 1999 for his dedication to the College by the creation of the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame. In 2001, he established the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which is awarded to two communication/journalism students each year.
In addition, he started the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication Awards in 2011, honoring local communications professionals for their work in public relations, advertising, and broadcast and print journalism. The 2013 award winners will be honored on April 18.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement