Palvino ’55 to be Inducted into Rochester Music Hall of Fame
Jack Palvino, a member of St. John Fisher College's Pioneer Class and a current trustee, will be inducted into the Rochester Music Hall of Fame. The inductees were announced on Thursday, February 28, and the ceremony will take place on April 28 at the Eastman Theatre.
Palvino is one of Rochester's best-known media figures with a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
Palvino remains active in the College's Communication/ Journalism Department, and he was honored in 1999 for his dedication to the College by the creation of the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame. In 2001, he established the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which is awarded to two communication/journalism students each year.
In addition, he started the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication Awards in 2011, honoring local communications professionals for their work in public relations, advertising, and broadcast and print journalism. The 2013 award winners will be honored on April 18.
Latest College News Stories
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation