Palvino ’55 to be Inducted into Rochester Music Hall of Fame
Jack Palvino, a member of St. John Fisher College's Pioneer Class and a current trustee, will be inducted into the Rochester Music Hall of Fame. The inductees were announced on Thursday, February 28, and the ceremony will take place on April 28 at the Eastman Theatre.
Palvino is one of Rochester's best-known media figures with a legendary 40-year career in broadcasting, and was one of the area's dominant radio personalities from 1958-1978. In 1978, he and his partner, Albert "Bud" Wertheimer, formed the Lincoln Group and purchased WVOR radio. The group grew to include WHAM, WHTK, WPXY, and WHRR in Rochester; WBUF in Buffalo; and WQKX and WSOM in Youngstown, Ohio. The group was sold in 1997 to American Radio Systems, now CBS.
Palvino remains active in the College's Communication/ Journalism Department, and he was honored in 1999 for his dedication to the College by the creation of the Jack Palvino Communication/Journalism Hall of Fame. In 2001, he established the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which is awarded to two communication/journalism students each year.
In addition, he started the Jack Palvino Excellence in Communication Awards in 2011, honoring local communications professionals for their work in public relations, advertising, and broadcast and print journalism. The 2013 award winners will be honored on April 18.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Three at School of Education Complete Crisis Intervention Certification Program