Wegmans School of Pharmacy Swaps Classes for Service
The St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy held its annual service day on Tuesday, April 8, sending nearly 250 students, faculty, and staff around the community on a community service mission.
The group was split up and assigned to 21 different locations to perform a multitude of tasks from painting, gardening, cleaning, stocking food shelves, hosting a game of bingo, and serving up an ice cream social. The locations included the Al Sigl Center, American Cancer Society – Hope Lodge, Angels of Mercy, Community Place, CP Rochester, CURE Childhood Cancer, Daystar, Episcopal Senior Life, EquiCenter, FoodLink, Friendly Home, Gilda’s Club, Hickok Center for Brain Injury, Jewish Home, Open Door Mission, Ronald McDonald House, Saints Place, Seneca Park Zoo, Sisters of St. Joseph, and St. Joseph’s Villa.
Kara Wilcox, a P1 student, was located at Gilda’s Club where they were charged with reorganizing and cleaning out cupboards and other office areas. Volunteers also dropped off donations from Gilda’s Club to Goodwill, and helped prepare mailing materials.
“This was my first time participating in service day, and I really enjoyed it. This pharmacy program has taught me to build an appreciation for volunteering. Many of these non-profit organizations that do so much for the community are understaffed or operating on a tight budget, so the help we provide in just a day can truly make an impact, which makes it quite fulfilling,” she said.
Students cleaning the grounds at EquiCenter.
A pharmacy student serves up some ice cream and conversation for a resident of Episcopal Senior Life.
Students finish up some painting at the Hickok Center for Brain Injury.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes