Wegmans School of Pharmacy Swaps Classes for Service
The St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy held its annual service day on Tuesday, April 8, sending nearly 250 students, faculty, and staff around the community on a community service mission.
The group was split up and assigned to 21 different locations to perform a multitude of tasks from painting, gardening, cleaning, stocking food shelves, hosting a game of bingo, and serving up an ice cream social. The locations included the Al Sigl Center, American Cancer Society – Hope Lodge, Angels of Mercy, Community Place, CP Rochester, CURE Childhood Cancer, Daystar, Episcopal Senior Life, EquiCenter, FoodLink, Friendly Home, Gilda’s Club, Hickok Center for Brain Injury, Jewish Home, Open Door Mission, Ronald McDonald House, Saints Place, Seneca Park Zoo, Sisters of St. Joseph, and St. Joseph’s Villa.
Kara Wilcox, a P1 student, was located at Gilda’s Club where they were charged with reorganizing and cleaning out cupboards and other office areas. Volunteers also dropped off donations from Gilda’s Club to Goodwill, and helped prepare mailing materials.
“This was my first time participating in service day, and I really enjoyed it. This pharmacy program has taught me to build an appreciation for volunteering. Many of these non-profit organizations that do so much for the community are understaffed or operating on a tight budget, so the help we provide in just a day can truly make an impact, which makes it quite fulfilling,” she said.
Students cleaning the grounds at EquiCenter.
A pharmacy student serves up some ice cream and conversation for a resident of Episcopal Senior Life.
Students finish up some painting at the Hickok Center for Brain Injury.
Latest College News Stories
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3