Wegmans School of Pharmacy Swaps Classes for Service
The St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy held its annual service day on Tuesday, April 8, sending nearly 250 students, faculty, and staff around the community on a community service mission.
The group was split up and assigned to 21 different locations to perform a multitude of tasks from painting, gardening, cleaning, stocking food shelves, hosting a game of bingo, and serving up an ice cream social. The locations included the Al Sigl Center, American Cancer Society – Hope Lodge, Angels of Mercy, Community Place, CP Rochester, CURE Childhood Cancer, Daystar, Episcopal Senior Life, EquiCenter, FoodLink, Friendly Home, Gilda’s Club, Hickok Center for Brain Injury, Jewish Home, Open Door Mission, Ronald McDonald House, Saints Place, Seneca Park Zoo, Sisters of St. Joseph, and St. Joseph’s Villa.
Kara Wilcox, a P1 student, was located at Gilda’s Club where they were charged with reorganizing and cleaning out cupboards and other office areas. Volunteers also dropped off donations from Gilda’s Club to Goodwill, and helped prepare mailing materials.
“This was my first time participating in service day, and I really enjoyed it. This pharmacy program has taught me to build an appreciation for volunteering. Many of these non-profit organizations that do so much for the community are understaffed or operating on a tight budget, so the help we provide in just a day can truly make an impact, which makes it quite fulfilling,” she said.
Students cleaning the grounds at EquiCenter.
A pharmacy student serves up some ice cream and conversation for a resident of Episcopal Senior Life.
Students finish up some painting at the Hickok Center for Brain Injury.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair