Education Students Renovate Reading Rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester
A group of students from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education traded in their time at the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade for a paintbrush and toolbox and instead donated their time to renovate two rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester.
A total of 22 students worked around the clock to make sure they were ready to reveal the rooms to the community on Wednesday, March 20.
Visiting Instructor Sharon Christman once again led her class in one of her famous makeovers, but it was the first time the students ever tackled a public library. Based on their in-class training, the students designed and created two literary resource centers for pre-K to adult programs, which respond to the needs of the Maplewood Library community. The library serves many students from the Northwest quadrant of Rochester.
And moving forward, Fisher’s First Generation Scholar students will also volunteer their time to tutor students in the programs. Many students in those programs are second-language learners from Nepal and Burma.
Dusty Baker ’13 helped with the renovations and is also a tutor at the library. He said there are many community members that use the space on a daily basis.
“The entire time on Saturday was spent putting our teacher skills to good use. We organized and brought the two classrooms to life,” said Baker. “Seeing the smiles and joy from those people really made the hours spent truly worth it.”
Check out photos from Teddi 34 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pharmacy/MBA Students Win State Business Competition
- Fisher Celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day
- Fisher’s Youth Year Fellows on a Mission to Promote Literacy
- Fisher Junior Nets 1,000 Points in Basketball Career
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- Karim Publishes Paper in International Physics Journal
- Walgreens Representative Presents Check for Diversity Scholarship