Education Students Renovate Reading Rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester
A group of students from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education traded in their time at the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade for a paintbrush and toolbox and instead donated their time to renovate two rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester.
A total of 22 students worked around the clock to make sure they were ready to reveal the rooms to the community on Wednesday, March 20.
Visiting Instructor Sharon Christman once again led her class in one of her famous makeovers, but it was the first time the students ever tackled a public library. Based on their in-class training, the students designed and created two literary resource centers for pre-K to adult programs, which respond to the needs of the Maplewood Library community. The library serves many students from the Northwest quadrant of Rochester.
And moving forward, Fisher’s First Generation Scholar students will also volunteer their time to tutor students in the programs. Many students in those programs are second-language learners from Nepal and Burma.
Dusty Baker ’13 helped with the renovations and is also a tutor at the library. He said there are many community members that use the space on a daily basis.
“The entire time on Saturday was spent putting our teacher skills to good use. We organized and brought the two classrooms to life,” said Baker. “Seeing the smiles and joy from those people really made the hours spent truly worth it.”
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards