Orientation Information for Transfer Students
January 12, 2014
Noon - 2:00 p.m. | Check-In and Lunch | Campus Center
2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. | Formal Program | Golisano Gateway Midlevel
Campus Map [pdf]
Each year approximately one-third of Fisher's new students are transfers. Although you've experienced college life before, every school is different. This orientation is designed for transfer students who are new to Fisher or who have been away from Fisher for a while – there's been a lot of growth at the College! If you're not sure whether you should attend, consult the Office of Academic Affairs at (585) 385-8034 or email@example.com.
Orientation for all transfer students will take place on Sunday, January 12, 2014. Check in begins at noon in the Campus Center. Join us for a complimentary lunch and participate in the Campus Resource Marketplace (bookstore, IDs, parking permits, immunization documentation, etc). Optional campus tours are planned for 12:30pm, 1:15pm and 6:00pm, and are designed as an abbreviated overview of campus. More extensive tours can be set up through the Office of Admissions prior to the start of the semester. Following lunch and the marketplace, the formal program will take place in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel (see our campus map [pdf] for location and parking information).
This orientation is designed to help you with your transition to Fisher. Important academic issues and campus resources will be highlighted. In addition, you will be able to: explore the Lavery Library, participate in an introduction to the Fisher computing network for email, Blackboard and other computing resources, and gain additional information on academic support resources.
Reminders for Transfer Students
- Information regarding residence hall check in will be sent via your SJFC email. Please refer to this for room, roommate, and check in details.
- Questions regarding housing should be directed to the Office of Residential Life at (585) 385-8281, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by checking the Office of Residential Life website.
- Begin using your Fisher Gmail (email) account. This is the primary way to be in contact with your faculty advisor, course instructors, and other students. Please note that your Fisher Gmail account is the source of communication for announcements and special notices from the College.
- Student Gmail Instructions
- Contact the Office of Information Technology for help with your Gmail account.
- MySJFC allows for single sign-on for many of Fisher's online services including Blackboard, Gmail, Atomic Learning, and more.
- Access MySJFC at http://my.sjfc.edu
Immunizations, Health Insurance Waiver & Physical
- Immunization Records and the Meningitis Response Form (page 3 of the Health History Form [pdf]) are due to the Wellness Center at the start of the semester. Failure to submit these records may result in removal from courses and you will not be allowed to move into housing. You can fax your records to (585) 385-8299. Find out more about Immunization Requirements.
- All new full-time undergraduate students are required to have a physical on file with the Wellness Center at the time of course registration. For transfer students, a copy of your original college entrance physical is acceptable. Download and complete a Health History Form [pdf] (pages 1, 2 and 4) if you do not have a copy of your original college entrance physical.
- Student Athletes: You MUST complete and submit page 2 of the Health History Form [pdf] even if you are submitting your original college entrance physical.
- St. John Fisher College requires all full-time students to have health insurance coverage. If you do not have health insurance, Fisher has an established relationship with the Nationwide Life Insurance Company. Complete coverage details, including how to sign up, are available on the Wellness Center's Health Insurance Information page.
- Questions regarding your bill, payments or payment options may be directed to the Bursar's office at (585) 385-8061, via email to email@example.com, or by visiting the Bursar's Office website. Your current bill is accessible online 24/7 through your Fish 'R' Net account.
- Questions regarding the status of loans and scholarships/grants should be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (585) 385-8042 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I.D. Card and Parking
- Your I.D. card and parking permit will be available at Safety and Security located in Haffey Hall.
- All student vehicles (residential or commuter) using the College parking facility must be registered with the Safety and Security Department. Parking permits are $50 for commuters and $75 for residents. Details regarding parking are available on the Safety and Security website.
- Questions may be directed to Safety and Security at (585) 385-8025.
- Lackmann Culinary Services offers a variety of meal plan options for residential and commuter students. Questions regarding meal plans, dining locations, and hours of operation may be found on the Dining Services web page.
- It's easy to view the textbooks required for each of your courses and order them right online. Follow the instructions on the Ordering Textbooks Online page and your books will be waiting for you at Orientation!