Withdraw From Housing

Withdrawing from Housing & the College

If you are withdrawing from the College for any reason (graduating, transferring, etc.) you must withdraw from housing as well. Students withdrawing from housing for any reason forfeit the housing deposit. Please complete the College Withdrawal Request Form to begin the process of withdrawing from the College.

Once the form has been submitted, you will have access to cancel your room assignment and meal plan using the Withdraw from Housing Form on ResLife Online.

Withdrawing from Housing Only

Any student who wishes to be released from the housing contract, but remain a full-time student at St. John Fisher College must follow the housing contract appeal process below.

Housing Contract Appeal Process

Students may appeal to be released from the contract if faced with an extraordinary medical or financial situation that has occurred after the contract was signed. If a student appeals to be released from the contract and is not released, room and board charges still apply. Releases from the contract are only granted in exceptional cases with appropriate documentation. Once you review the following information, if you have any further questions about this process, please contact the ResLife office at (585) 385-8281 or reslife@sjfc.edu.

Types of Appeals

To Appeal Based on a Medical Reason

If you have a diagnosed medical condition that makes it medically necessary to move off campus, please complete the Housing Contract Appeal Form. The College requires that you provide appropriate documentation of the condition from your treating physician to the Health & Wellness Center. You must follow the Process to Request Disability Accommodations on the Health & Wellness Center website. You will need to provide the information described in Supporting Documentation for a Non-Academic (Medical) Request. Once the information is received, the Health & Wellness center will contact you and our office with recommendations (if any) concerning the appeal.

To Appeal Based on a Financial Reason

If the need to break the contract is financial, please complete the Housing Contract Appeal Form and be prepared to describe how your financial situation has changed significantly since you signed your housing contract. Your information will be reviewed with the Financial Aid Office and/or Student Accounts and more information may be requested before a decision is reached.

After You Appeal

If Your Appeal is Granted

If you appeal to be released from the contract and are released from the contract, room and board refunds are given per the College refund policy. The refund policy can be found on the Student Accounts website. Additionally, releases will be subject to the contract release fee.

If Your Appeal is NOT Granted

If you appeal to be released from the contract and are not released from the contract, room and board charges will still apply.

Contract Release Fee

Anyone who is approved for release from the contract or is removed from housing for student conduct reasons is subject to a $500.00 contract release fee.

  • Students who transfer or withdraw from the College after June 19, 2015 for the fall 2015 semester or after December 18, 2015 for the spring 2016 semester will be charged the contract release fee.
  • Students who graduate from the College mid-year, leave for study abroad, or are academically dismissed will not be charged the contract release fee.

Room and Board Refunds

Room and board charges are refunded per the College Refund Policy. The date of withdrawal is the official Residence Hall checkout date or the completion of the Withdrawal from Housing Form, whichever is later. Housing deposits are non-refundable.

Map & DirectionsA-Z Site IndexPeople Directory

Copyright © St. John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618 • (585) 385-8000
Questions/Comments? - Email the Webmaster Website Terms of Use