Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Ph.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
M.S., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
B.S., Niagara University
- PHAR 3144 – Systems Pharmacology I
- PHAR 3244 – Systems Pharmacology II
- PHAR 4144 – Systems Pharmacology III
- PHAR 4244 – Systems Pharmacology IV
- PHAR 5144 – Systems Pharmacology V
- PHAR 5526 – Introduction to Cancer Biology and Treatment
Dr. Parkhill's training was primarily in the areas of opioid receptor pharmacology. Since becoming a faculty member at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Dr. Parkhill has pursued her interests in three main subject areas:
- Medication use in myotonic dystrophy patients
- Surveys on general medication use and adherence, pain medication use, antidepressant use, and the use of statins were created by pharmacy students and launched to 1900+ National Registry members
- Thyroid, antidiabetic, antihyperlipidemic, antidepressant, and pain medication use is categorized and compared to medication usage in general population.
- Cultural competence and healthcare disparities
- As the course coordinator of the Introduction to Diversity course, Dr. Parkhill is passionate about the need to educate pharmacy students on the importance of learning about patients' culture and perceptions of the healthcare system. Along with collaborators, she has published on the need to incorporate LGBT topics in the pharmacy curriculum and the impact of a transgender panel discussion and a role-reversal exercise led by the Deaf community.
- Service learning and local and international community outreach
- Dr. Parkhill has collaborations with the local cancer community, including long-standing partnerships with Hope Lodge Hospitality House and 13Thirty Cancer Connect. She also leads students on medical service trips to Central America every summer.
- Hilbert J, Barohn R, Clemens P, Luebbe E, Martens W, McDermott M, Parkhill AL, Tawil R, Thornton C, Moxley R III, on behalf of the National Registry Scientific Advisory Committee/Investigators. High frequency of gastrointestinal manifestations in myotonic dystrophy type 1 and type 2. Neurology 2017; 89(13):1348-1354 [PMID: 28855409]
- Jacobson AN, Matson KL, Mathews JL, Parkhill AL, Scartabello TA. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Inclusion: Survey of Campus Climate in Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy. Curr Pharm Teach Learn 2017; 9 (1): 60–65 [PMID: 29180156]
- Fitzgerald B P, Conn K, Smith J, Walker A, Parkhill AL, Hilbert JE, Luebbe, EA, Moxley RT III. Medication adherence in patients with myotonic dystrophy and facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. J Neurol. 2016; 263(12):2528-2537 [PMID: 27734165]
- Parkhill AL, Mathews JL, Fearing S, and Gainsburg J. The Impact of a Transgender Panel Discussion in a Required Diversity Course for First-year Pharmacy Students. Am J Pharm Ed, 2014; 78 (4): 1-7. [PMID: 24850943]
- Skalla D, Miller K, Parkhill AL, Roberts, M. Prevalence and management of depression in patients with myotonic dystrophy (DM) and facioscapulohumeral dystrophy (FSHD). Poster presentation at the American Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Meeting, Orlando, FL. December 2017.
- Fitzgerald BP, Conn KM, Hilbert JE, Luebbe EA, Parkhill AL, and Moxley RT III, Pain and pain medication use in patients with myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1) and type 2 (DM2). IDMC-11, San Francisco, CA. September 2017.
- Birnie CR, DeLucenay A, Lull ME, Parkhill A, Schwandt K, Mathews JL, Chablani L, DelMonte K, Sapinoro R. Expanding Co-Curricular Experiences: Global and Domestic Service Projects for Pharmacy Students. FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Meeting, Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 2016.
- Fitzgerald BP and Parkhill AL. Pain and pain medication use in patients with myotonic dystrophy (DM) and facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (FSHD). Poster presentation at the American Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Meeting, New Orleans, LA. December 2015.
- Walker A, Smith JT, Hilbert JE, Luebbe EA, Martens WB, Parkhill AL, Moxley RT III. Statin and other antihyperlipidemic medication use and side effects in myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1) and myotonic dystrophy type 2 (DM2). Poster presentation at International Myotonic Dystrophy Consortium Meeting, Paris, France. June 2015.
- Walker A, Smith JT, Hilbert JE, Luebbe EA, Martens WB, Parkhill AL, Moxley RT III. Hypothyroid medication use in patients with myotonic dystrophy (DM). Poster presentation at International Myotonic Dystrophy Consortium Meeting, Paris, France. June 2015.
- Fitzgerald BP and Parkhill AL. Analyzing pain medication use and adherence in patients with myotonic dystrophy (DM) and facioscapulohumeral dystrophy (FSHD). Poster presentation at the American College of Clinical Pharmacists (ACCP) Virtual Poster Symposium, May 2015.
In 2016, Dr. Parkhill was awarded the “Make a Difference Award” from 13Thirty Cancer Connect in recognition for her efforts to connect Fisher students to the organization through service-learning courses and volunteer opportunities.