Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Board Certified Pediatric Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Pediatrics Residency, University of Michigan Hospital (Ann Arbor MI)
Pharmacy Practice Residency, The Ohio State University Medical Center (Columbus OH)
Pharm.D., University of Buffalo
B.S., St. John Fisher College
Dr. Hutchinson received his Pharm.D. from the University of Buffalo. He continued his pharmacy practice training by completing a pharmacy practice residency at The Ohio State University Medical Center and a pediatrics residency at the University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers. In 2008, Dr. Hutchinson joined the Wegmans School of Pharmacy as an assistant professor of pharmacy practice.
In addition to his faculty responsibilities, Dr. Hutchinson provides clinical pharmacy services and precepts fourth year pharmacy students at Golisano Children’s Hospital at the University of Rochester Medical Center. He is also serves as a preceptor for the PGY1 residency at the hospital. Dr. Hutchinson’s expertise is in pediatric pharmacotherapy, nutrition, and management of patients with cystic fibrosis. He is active in local, state, and national pharmacy organizations.
Dr. Hutchinson’s research interests include stability of compounded products, academic assessment, and pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antimicrobial agents in pediatric patients.
- Prescott WA, Dahl E, Hutchinson DJ. Pediatric Education across U.S. Pharmacy School: What is being taught and how? American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2014; 78(3): Article 51.
- Hutchinson DJ, Barclay M, Prescott WA, Brown J. Inhaled Aztreonam Lysine: An Evidence Based Review. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2013; 14(15): 2115-2124.
- Almagambetova E, Hutchinson DJ, Blais DE, Zhao F. Stability of Diluted Adenosine in Latex-, PVC-And DEHP-Free Infusion Bags. Hosp Pharm 2013; 48(6): 484-488.
- Morris ME, Morse BL, Baciewicz GL, Tessena MM, Acquisto NM, Hutchinson DJ, DiCenzo R. Monocarboxylate Transporter Inhibition with Osmotic Diuresis Increases Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate Renal Elimination in Humans: A Proof-of-Concept Study. J Clinic Toxicol 2011; 1(2): 1-4.
- Prescott WA, Hutchinson DJ. Respiratory syncytial virus prophylaxis in special populations: Is it something worth considering in cystic fibrosis and immunosuppression? J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther 2011; 16(2): 77-86.
- Kaltenbach M, Hutchinson DJ, Bollinger JE, Zhao F. Stability of diluted adenosine solutions in polyvinyl chloride infusion bags. AJHP 2011; 68: 1533-1536.
- Nemerovski C, Hutchinson DJ. Treatment of Hypervolemic or Euvolemic Hyponatremia Associated with Heart Failure, Cirrhosis, or the Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone with Tolvaptan: A Clinical Review. Clinical Therapeutics 2010; 32(6): 1015-1032.
- Hutchinson DJ, Liou Y, Best R, Zhao F. Stability of extemporaneously prepared rufinamide oral suspensions. Ann Pharmacother 2010; 44: 462-465.
- Hutchinson DJ, Klein K. Human papillomavirus disease and vaccines. AJHP 2008; 65: 2105-2112.
- Hutchinson DJ, Johnson CE, Klein KC. Stability of moxifloxacin in an extemporaneously compounded oral liquid. AJHP 2009; 66(7): 665-667.
Awards & Honors
- Recipient, Best Paper Competition from 2015 ACCP Global Conference. Katherine Juba, Tina Khadem, David Hutchinson, Jack Brown.
- Methadone and QTc Prolongation in Pain and Palliative Care Patients: A Case Control Study. Presented at The American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy. October 2015. San Francisco, CA
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, Teacher of the Year, 2013-2014
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, Preceptor of the Year, 2012-2013
- University of Rochester Medical Center Department of Pharmacy, Preceptor of the Year, 2011 - 2012
- New York Chapter of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy Educator/Preceptor of the Year, 2011
- Teacher of the Year, Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, 2010 - 2011