New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires candidates who are completing teacher certification programs to apply online – through the TEACH system – for their certification(s).
The TEACH online system allows you to:
- Apply for a certificate
- Apply for fingerprint clearance
- Check the status of your application(s)
- View/update your profile (update address, request a name change or social security update)
- View your certification record (evaluations and issued certificates)
- View/update your professional development record for your Professional certificate(s)
- Apply for a duplicate certificate
The TEACH Online Services system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Initial and Professional Certification
Initial Certificate - the first teaching certificate (valid for five years) obtained by a candidate. Requirements include the completion of a registered program, passing scores on the NYS tests, and fingerprint clearance.
Professional Certificate - the final teaching certificate obtained by a candidate that qualifies that individual to teach in New York State schools. Requirements include an appropriate master's degree and three years of teaching experience including one year of mentored teaching experience. Professional certificate holders will be required to complete 175 hours of professional development every five years.