Supervisors of Student Employees
Student Employment Process for Supervisors
There are necessary documents that must be on file with the Payroll Department prior to hiring a student employee and employment paperwork that must be completed, then approved by a Payroll Department representative, prior to a student beginning to work. Refer to the steps below for further information.
- Department has a work study or non-work study budget to support hiring a student employee.
- An approved Job Description form [pdf] and Signature Authorization form [pdf] are on file with Payroll.
- Student accepts a position.
- If you are hiring a student that has never worked for the College, the student must be prepared to complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form, presenting acceptable identification documents to a Payroll Department representative. See General Guidelines for Student Employment for Supervisors [pdf] for more information.
- Student and supervisor complete a Student Work Assignment form [pdf]. Student completes all of Section 1. The supervisor completes all of Section 2. All information must be provided.
- Student brings the completed Student Work Assignment form to the Payroll Department. Student may need to complete other employment paperwork at the Payroll Department: I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form, W-4 Federal Tax Withholding form, NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding form, or Direct Deposit Request form.
- Student brings the "payroll approved" copy of the Student Work Assignment form back to the supervisor. At that time, the student may begin working.
- A Time Sheet [pdf] is completed and signed by the supervisor for the hours the student has worked during the pay period. The time sheet is turned into the Payroll Department by the due date as determined by the Payroll Schedule [pdf].
- Pay day arrives. If the student has elected direct deposit, he/she can view their direct deposit payroll information on the Employee Services module of Fish 'R' Net. If the student did not elect direct deposit, a pay check is issued and the student will pick the check up at the Student Accounts window, presenting picture identification to the Student Accounts representative. Pay checks are distributed at the Student Accounts window on payday Friday and the following Monday. Checks not picked up by the end of the day Monday are mailed to the student's permanent address.